Frequently Asked Questions at Bethel Elementary School…
1. How do I register my kindergartener?
Your child must be 5 years old by August 31.
Please call the school at 646-3448 for information regarding the annual kindergarten parent meeting . Please bring (1) Child’s CERTIFIED birth certificate, (2) child’s social security card, (3) Child’s Immunization record.
You will have to provide proof of residency. You will be asked to have your pediatrician or a medical professional at the health department to complete a state-required health assessment form. This form is required for your kindergartener to attend school.
You will be invited to set up an appointment for an individual academic assessment of your child and to set up an appointment for a home visit by your child’s teacher!
We are excited to have your child in our kindergarten program!
2. I’m moving to the area. . . How do I enroll my child?
You will need to provide the following:
• Proof of residence (driver’s license, rental agreement, water/cable/electric bill. . .an official document with your name and your address to show that you are in Bethel’s district)
• CERTIFIED birth certificate for your student
• Immunization record for your student
• Photo i.d. of parent/guardian
• Withdrawal form from previous school (we will then make an official records request)
• Custody papers (if applicable)
Please let us know the following:
• Any medical / health concerns for your child
• Any special academic services (IEP, 504 plan, speech/language services, ESL services, etc.) your child received at previous school
Yes, you MAY pick up enrollment forms before you bring your child. Completing those papers in advance (and in the comfort of your own home) will save you a lot of time the big day you arrive! We will not actually enroll your child, however, until all forms are complete.
3. What are the school’s hours of operation?
• 7:15 School officially opens and children may enter through the front entrance. Students go to the gym and sit with their grade level or cafeteria.
• 7:45 Students are dismissed to their classrooms. NOTE: From 7:45-8:00 children are busy putting away their supplies, making their lunch choice, and beginning morning work while teachers are checking homework, checking agenda books, and making any home transportation changes. INSTRUCTION BEGINS AT 8:00. Please encourage your child to arrive on time. Timeliness is an important life-long habit that inspires responsibility and self-discipline.
• 8:00 Tardy bell rings, morning announcements
• 8:00-2:50 School Day
• 2:50 Afternoon dismissal for car riders
• 3:00 Bus riders are dismissed
NOTE: If no one is at the bus stop to meet your child, s/he will be returned to school to afterschool care. Bus drivers are not allowed to leave children unattended. Cost is $8/day.
• 6:00 Afterschool care is closed.
4. What is the attendance policy?
Good attendance is very important to a child’s academic progress! We are doing important work each and every day!
• If your child must be out of school (illness, injury, etc.), please send a note in the agenda book or from physician’s office when s/he returns so that we can excuse the absence.
• If your child suffers from an extended illness which requires him/her to miss more than two days in a row, please call your child’s teacher to get make-up work started.